What is a Tequila Sour?
A Tequila Sour Drink is a cocktail that blends the brightness of citrus with the smooth flavors of tequila, balanced out by a touch of sweetness. Traditionally, it's topped with a frothy layer, which comes from shaking with an egg white. This recipe is a non-egg version, using the Elixir Mixer to create that desirable frothy consistency.
- 2 oz tequila (preferably a good-quality blanco or reposado)
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 oz simple syrup (adjust to taste)
- 1 small drop of orange blossom water (optional, for aroma)
- Lemon or orange wheel for garnish
- To your Elixir Mixer, add tequila, fresh lemon juice, and simple syrup.
- Whisk on the first speed until well combined.
- Add ice to cool the drink down.
- Pour into separate glasses and garnish with a lemon or orange wheel, if desired.
- Sip and enjoy!
Can I add an egg white? Traditionally, a Tequila Sour might contain an egg white for frothiness. If you prefer this, you can add one and use the Elixir Mixer to achieve that froth. Make sure to whisk thoroughly!
Why blanco or reposado tequila? These types of tequilas have distinct yet not overwhelmingly strong flavors, making them perfect for mixed drinks.
Is there a difference between a Tequila Sour and a Margarita? Yes! While both contain tequila and citrus, a Tequila Sour is sweeter and frothier, while a Margarita typically has a triple sec or Cointreau component and is served with a salted rim.
Enjoy your Tequila Sour Elixir!
Do away with tedious handheld frothers and clunky shaker bottles. With the Elixir Mixer—our electric whisk bottle—crafting a diverse range of hot and cold drinks is streamlined. Fill it up, press the button, and 15 seconds later—get sipping. It will quickly become the MVP of your everyday rituals.